Intro to Lapidary and Setting Techniques
with Michael Boyd
Oct 07th - Oct 11th, 2019 | 10am to 6pm
Tuition: $995 | Payment plans available
Kit Fee: $125 Materials and Lab Fee (stones not included) | Fee paid last day of class
This class is FULL.
“What a great experience. Michael was so knowledgeable, helpful, and humble, and funny also. Thank you for bringing Michael to Austin.” - Nancy, Metal & Stone with Michael Boyd
This class is FULL.
“The stone is as important as the metal. I am looking for an integration of the media, a manipulation and blending of the two: Using stone as a medium, not as an accessory.” – Michael Boyd
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Get introduced to the world of lapidary arts and spend a week alongside an internationally renowned lapidary artist, Michael Boyd. Learn how to cut, polish and set cabochons in many different materials.
Students begin their class by cutting traditional cabochons and set their freshly cut cabs in a stylized bezel.
- Students will learn and practice:
- Cutting traditional cabochons and set freshly cut cabs in a stylized bezel
- Settings for stone-on-stone
- Drilling holes in stone
- Carving grooves and slots in stone
- Stacked/layered bezels
- A variety of alternative setting styles and mountings
- All the lapidary equipment needed to produce unique jewels is provided. Raw stones will be available for purchase (priced per gram or carat), but students are welcome to bring in any stones they wish to work with during the workshop. Options for color, shape and size are absolutely limitless.
Diamond drills, ball/carving burs, felt burs and diamond powders for polishing stones.
Students will also have access to free agate that Michael will be providing, until it runs out. Students are encouraged to bring in rough (un-cut) stones that they want to work on. Michael will be bringing a large selection of higher end stones (jasper, jade, tourmaline, ruby, etc.) for purchase during class. Rough stone is also available at Nature’s Treasures in Austin if you are shopping ahead of time. (Michael likes to visit this place when he is town!)
Click here to view Micheal’s videos:
Please be informed Creative Side only offers “tuition credit” upon cancellation. Please review our no refund policy before enrolling and agree to the terms. We appreciate your support of our growing community.