Beginning Sawing and Soldering
We rotate our local instructors to give you a well rounded experience. Please choose a date, time, and instructor that works for you! For more information, check out our amazing instructors here!
Tuition: $325 | Payment plans available
Kit Fee: $40 Materials and Lab Fee | Fee paid last day of class
“This was an outstanding class. Jason was great at balancing group & individual instruction. He encouraged creativity and helped us when our innovation exceeded our skill level.” - Maddie M. 101: Bezel + Tab
Absolute beginners and intermediate students are welcome!
Spend a full weekend learning the core techniques of jewelry making and the tools and equipment of a metalsmithing studio. You will receive a thorough introduction to sawing and soldering while you design 2 very important facets of the jewelry world: rings and pendants in copper, brass, or sterling silver (silver available for purchase).
This course will cover…
Sawing: The jeweler’s saw is one of the most important tools found on every jeweler’s bench. It is the tool that really takes your jewelry to the next level and show off quality craftsmanship. You can create your own intricate shapes and piercings unique to your designs rather than relying on the sheer, snips, or pre-made shapes in sheet metal. This skill is not difficult, however, to really master sawing and piercing it takes practice!
- Practice sawing and piercing with templates that include organic and geometric shapes/lines
- How to lay out your design and prep the metal for sawing
- Using the flex shaft and drilling
- Understanding saw blade sizes and specifications best fit for different tasks
- The importance of proper blade tension and how to achieve it
- Sawing safety and comfort:How to hold the saw and proper posture for best results for you and your jewelry
- Filing and sanding to finish out your pieces
Soldering: Knowing how to solder can take your designs to the next level and open up a whole new world. We will teach you one of the most fundamental skills in jewelry making.
- Using a jewelers torch with confidence
- Cover different methods of soldering
- Choosing the right solder for the job
- Understanding of soldering melting points
Plus learn these metalsmithing essentials:
- Different methods of texturing
- Applying patinas
- Forming techniques for shaping and sizing rings
Take this class with Intro to Stone Setting – Bezel Set Pendant to cover all basics forms of fabrication. Or really ready to dive into the world of jewelry? Enroll in our 6 Week Jewelry and Metalsmithing Program.
Please be informed Creative Side only offers “tuition credit” upon cancellation. Please review our no refund policy before enrolling and agree to the terms. We appreciate your support of our growing community.